Thursday, September 16, 2010

What a find! UPDATED 29/09/10



UPDATE 29/09/10: Upon sorting these papers, I found that the notebook, the weekly church bulletins, baptism forms and some other receipts date back to 1899 and sequentially up 1922! Guess I'll be scanning those and keeping the originals.

On my walk this morning I came across a broken-up piece of furniture next to a dumpster. Apparently one drawer still had some things tucked away. I gathered these wonderfully-aged church prayer and song books and a few more personal effects. The most special item: a handwritten notebook of a priest's sermons. Who needs the art supply store when you have another man's treasure? Can't wait to find a home for them in my next collages.

...I'm contemplating scanning some of these, something feels strange about cutting and gluing the originals.

5 comments:

Dolores said...

I agree with you that copies would be better. Keep the originals in tact. Lucky you to have found wonderful treasures.

Kim Hambric said...

What a find! I'm looking forward to seeing what becomes of them.

I would consider scanning your absolute favorites and cutting into the rest. My favorite thing about collage is spreading glue on old paper with my fingers. It just feels good! (my humble opinion)

Laurie Pearsall said...

I agree with you both! There's quite a bit of writing, so I will strike a happy medium. If I knew the person I am sure I would hesitate more...stay tuned...

ArtPropelled said...

How lucky are you? Many treasures here. I popped over to your website and especially love the piece on your home page.

Laurie Pearsall said...

Thanks, Robyn. It's been a really productive summer...I'm not a beach bunny, I hibernate in the studio all summer.